Defiance, the videogame tie-in to the SyFy series of the same name, will become free to play as of this summer, Trion Worlds announced today. The MMO shooter will roll out the new model in three different updates, hitting the PC first on June 4, with the PS3 expected to follow on July 15. Details for the Xbox 360 are still being discussed between the studio and Microsoft. Several changes will be underway for players who have already purchased the game prior to its moving to a free-to-play model. Season Pass content, however, will still require a fee. Creative lead Trick Dempsey stated on this matter: “That content is not going to become free. DLCs are still the same objects they were when they were released to the public initially.” It should be noted that the Bay Area content and endgame will be free when the model changes this year. Also the story crossover missions once the series begins its second season in May will be free. The game currently is not looking to move to the PS4 or Xbox One as of yet, with Dempsey explaining, “Our primary goal is to have the largest install base possible.” That base isn’t quite there yet with the new generation of consoles.
Players will get the following bonuses if they purchase a new box or digital copy of Defiance:
– A grant of 1000 Arkforge, a currency redeemable for resetting weapon mastery, upgrading your weapon’s power rating, or even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity.
– 4 Character Slots, 5 Loadouts, up to 75 Ark Keycodes, and a minimum of 70 Inventory Slots.
– They will also enjoy thirty days of Paradise Patron status when Defiance begins its free-to-play service.
Paradise Patrons (those who unlock a Patron Pass through purchases in the game’s store) will get the following:
– Boosts to skill, XP, scrip, salvage, and reputation gain rates that stack with the matching boosts available in the store.
– 10% store-wide discount- boosts, costumes, lock boxes, etc.
– A grab bag of one-hour boosts or Arkforge from Daily and Weekly Ark Hunter Bonus Lock Boxes.
So, what are your thoughts on this, readers? Are you currently playing Defiance? Or is this just the thing to get you to check the game out? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest posts by Thomas Juretus (see all)
- New Releases for the Week of October 9, 2017- Shadow of War - October 8, 2017
- New Releases for the Week of October 2, 2017- Forza Motorsport 7 - October 1, 2017
- New Releases for the Week of September 25, 2017- FIFA 18 - September 24, 2017