Genshin Impact, the sensational hit gacha game from miHoYo, has received its first major update in November. The new overhaul adds a ton of new and exciting features to the game, but today, we’re looking at the new characters in Genshin Impact’s November update. It’s what we all look forward to anyways.
The game can be found on mobile devices for iOS and Android but if you’re more comfortable with consoles and bigger screens, it’s also on the PS4, Windows and the Switch. A word of advice to mobile users as they are the bigger audience of the game – if the gacha mechanics have gotten to you, make sure to stock up on some Google Play Gift Cards to keep rolling! We got you.
Tartaglia and Diona are the two new characters in Genshin Impact. Here’s everything you need to know about them from combat to constellations. Let’s go!
Tartaglia is a fierce Fatui warrior with hydro vision. In case you’ve forgotten who the Fatui were, they’re a team of diplomats from Zapolyarny Palace in Snezhnaya led by Eleven Harbingers. The Fatui faction aims to kill Stormterror to save the city of Mondstadt, thus they’re portrayed as one of the main antagonists in Genshin Impact.
Tartaglia is No. 11 of the Harbingers under the command of the Tsaritsa, Jean’s rival. Tartaglia is also known as ‘Childe’ and his name is known to bring terror upon the face of his enemies on the battlefield. He may not look like it but he’s a scary powerful one.
Tartaglia is by far the most unique character in Genshin Impact as he can switch between Melee and Ranged weapons. His main weapon is a bow and his elemental ability temporarily makes him a melee fighter with an arsenal of new moves. He’s arguably the best offensive character in the game, right alongside Diluc.
Normal attack: Cutting Torrent
- Normal Attack: Shoots six non-elemental arrows consecutively.
- Charged Attack: Shoots a single, supercharged arrow that deals Hydro damage. Enemies hit by charged attack receive Riptide damage.
- Plunging Attack: Fire multiple arrows mid-air and then crash down to inflict hydro damage to nearby enemies.
Elemental Skill: Foul Legacy: Raging Tide
Tartaglia’s elemental ability grants him two hydro swords for melee attacks for a maximum of 30 seconds. You can switch back to the ranged attacks at any point within that time frame. The longer he is in the melee stance, the longer the cooldown for the elemental skill.
- Normal Attack: Perform six consecutive Hydro strikes with swords.
- Charged Attack: Perform a Hydro cross slash that costs stamina.
- Riptide Slash: If you hit a Riptide affected opponent in melee mode, Tartaglia will deal Area of Effect (AoE) damage.
Elemental Burst: Havor: Obliteration
Tartaglia’s elemental burst can differ depending on the stance. The effects of the elemental bursts are the same, irrespective of the stance. It’s just a matter of animation.
- Ranged Stance: Flash Of Havoc
Fires a powerful hydro arrow which deals elemental damage and triggers Riptide.
- Melee: Light Obliteration
Performs a hydro slash which deals elemental damage and triggers Riptide.
- Never Ending: Extend Riptide by eight seconds.
- Sword Of Torrents: Critical hits automatically apply to Riptide in melee mode.
- Master Of Weaponry: Increase the Normal Attack levels of all party members by one point.
- Foul Legacy: Tide Withholder: Decreases the elemental skill cooldown by 20%.
- Foul Legacy: Understream: Regenerate Elemental Energy when enemies are killed by Riptide.
- Abyssal Mayhem: Vortex Of Turmoil: Increases elemental skill by three points.
- Abyssal Mayhem: Hydrospout: Triggers either Riptide Slash or Riptide Flash every four seconds.
- Havoc: Formless Blade: Increases Havoc: Obliteration by three.
- Havoc: Annihilation: Foul Legacy: Rising Tide’s cooldown is reset whenever Havoc: Obliteration is cast in melee stance.
So, if you’re looking to make a splash that could drown out your strongest enemies, try out Tartaglia for a change. You’ll be impressed with his abilities and prowess – he’s a 5-star character for a reason!
Diona is a young lady who works at Cat’s Tail Tavern as a bartender. Blessed with Cryo vision, the bow is her weapon of choice. Her non-human, feline-like traits paired with a cute outlook has made her extremely popular among the patrons of Cat’s Tail Tavern. Don’t be fooled by her child-like appearance and fluffy cat ears, Diona is a skilled healer that could turn the tide of battle with a flick of her calico tail.
As mentioned above, Diona’s combat isn’t what makes her special. Her abilities don’t lean in favour of an offensive build, but she’s an excellent fit for a healer. Plus, if you dig the anime aesthetic of the game, Diona will find an impeccable place in your party for her feline features.
Normal attack: Katzlein Style
- Normal Attack: Shoot five non-elemental arrows consecutively.
- Charged Attack: Shoot an aimed shot that deals Cryo damage.
- Plunging Attack: Press attack while in mid-air to slam down and deal elemental damage.
Elemental Skill: Icy Paws
- Normal Attack: Fires two Icy Paws that inflict Cryo damage to any enemies in her path. Additionally, Diona gains a shield that scales up to her HP. The more enemies that the paws hit, the longer the shield will last.
- Charged Attack: Charged elemental skill will fire five paws instead of two. Diona will dash backwards and her shield will gain a 75 %damage absorption bonus.
Elemental Burst: Signature Mix
Creates a Drunker Mist, which deals AoE Cryo damage to enemies inside it and heals allies that are inside it.
- Cat’s Tail Secret Menu: Any party member protected by Icy Paws will gain +10% movement speed and lose Stamina 10% slower.
- Drunkard’s Farce: Enemies trapped in the Elemental Burst will get -10% attack for 15 seconds.
- Complimentary Bar Food: 12% chance to create double the product when cooking any meal with restorative properties as long as meals are cooked perfectly.
- A Lingering Flavor: Regenerate 15 Energy as Signature Mix ends.
- Shaken, Not Purred: Icy Paws deal +15% damage, and the shields generated have +15% damage absorption.
- A- Another Round?: Signature Mix’s level is increased by 3 points.
- Wine Industry Slayer: Aimed Shot charges +60% faster when Diona uses elemental burst cloud.
- Double Shot, On The Rocks: Icy Paws’ level is increased by 3.
- Cat’s Tail Closing Time: Inside the elemental burst cloud, characters get +30% healing bonus when below 50% HP, or gain 200 Elemental Mastery when above 50% HP.
Diona is a 4-star character so don’t worry about trying your luck with the gacha gods; there’s a high chance you will get her character eventually. Unless, you have poor luck which in that case – keep trying? Although there are other characters that you might consider better healers than Diona; none of them have the unique cat features and cuteness that she brings, now do they?
How to get Tartaglia and Diona?
Tartaglia and Diona can be acquired as playable characters in Genshin Impact through the “Farewell of Snezhnaya” wish. Every 10 wishes is guaranteed to include a 4-star item, but it may not be a character.
The drop rates of 5-star characters are doped up to 50% during specific hours for the “Farewell of Snezhnaya” wish. However, Beidou and Ningguang are also a part of the promotional spin, so you might end up with a five-star version of them instead of Tartaglia. On the contrary, Diona is only a 4-star character. So your chances of getting her are much higher when compared to Tartaglia.
In short, there is no sure-shot way of getting Tartaglia and Diona in Genshin Impact, but you can keep trying if you have the money and drive to. Just remember to keep track of your spending and don’t spiral into debt trying to get these characters.
Genshin Impact’s Upcoming Characters
The Version 1.1 update notice also confirmed the other upcoming characters in Genshin Impact.
First up is Zhongli, with a Geo element and Polearm weapon. Players who’ve already finished the new story quest will have already met Zhongli as an NPC and witnessed his deadly attacks and special abilities.
Next, you’ll meet Xinyan, a local musician from Liyue with a Pyro element and a claymore weapon. Once again, if you have finished the main story quests in Liyue, you must be familiar with Xinyan and her capabilities. Since she’s just a 4-star character, her drop rates will be much higher than Zhongli. Her character basically looks like a fiery rockstar goddess, which is a plus in our book honestly.
Those are all the new characters that are in Genshin Impact for now. Even so, miHoYo seems committed to bringing constant updates and new characters to the game, so watch this space for the next set of new characters in Genshin Impact!